Excursion planner - Glasgow and Girvan area
List of excursions
The Girvan-Ballantrae District (25–31)
Standards of excursions
Can provide advanced study as well.
1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,14,15,17,18,19,20,21,23,24,31,33 (excursion) plus introductory itineraries for Girvan (25,26,27,28,29,30) and Dob's Linn (32).
Has impressive exposures for all levels of knowledge and explanation of the more advanced features in most cases.
- 9–faulting and terrane development
- 10–cleavage and overfolding
- 11–polyphase deformation
- 12–a metamorphic aureole
- 13–Dalradian structures
- 16–alluvial palaeoenvironments in Old Red Sandstone
- 20–palaeoecology in the Carboniferous
- 22–arthropods and early fish (Silurian)
- 25 to 30–history of the Girvan area (plate tectonics)
- 32–graptolite succession
- 33–Quaternary (account)
Topics in excursions
The Stratigraphical summary (Table 0.1) indicates which excursions are most suitable for studying particular examples of the following:
- Stratigraphical systems
- Rock groups or important formations
- Sedimentary facies
- Faunal associations
More detailed information is given under the heading Features at the beginning of each excursion account.
The following topics are not adequately covered in (Table 0.1).
- c) plugs and vents: excursions 7, 12, 24
- a) simple folds: excursion 8
- b) complex folds: excursions 10, 11, 13, 25
- c) minor faults (visible): excursions 7, 8,13,14,15,24, 27, 28, 29, 30, 32
- d) major faults (not usually visible): excursions 5, 6, 9, 10
- e) cleavage: excursions 10, 11, 13
- a) Ordovician and Silurian shells: excursions 28, 29, 30, 31
- b) Ordovician and Silurian graptolites: excursion 32
- c) Devonian plants: excursion 8
- d) Carboniferous shells: excursions 4, 5, 6, 20
- e) Carboniferous plants: excursion 2
Mineral collecting excursions
- Excursions 18, 19, 20
Timing of excursions
Estimates of the time needed for each excursion are provided at the beginning of each account. In some cases a shortened itinerary is suggested.
- Suitable for half-day or summer evening Excursions 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 17, 18, 19, 20
- Combinations of above geographically convenient for a day trip Excursions 1 and 2: 3 and 4: 7 and 8: 18 and 19: 18 and 20
- Week-end trip Selected localities in the Girvan and Ballantrae area from Excursions 25 to 31. See Introduction to Girvan–Ballantrae section.
The 1: 63 360 and 1 : 50 000 geological (BGS) maps which cover the area are shown on (Figure 0.4).
The following O.S. 1 : 50 000 maps cover the excursion area:
56 Inveraray and Loch Lomond
57 Stirling and The Trossachs
63 Firth of Clyde
70 Ayr and Kilmarnock
71 Lanark and Upper Nithsdale
79 Hawick and Eskdale
|At all times follow: The Scottish Access Codeand Code of conduct for geological field work|