File list

Jump to navigation Jump to search

This special page shows all uploaded files.

File list
Date Name Thumbnail Size Description Versions
10:27, 1 December 2015 IS042.jpg (file) 1.11 MB The Bank of Scotland, The Mound, Edinburgh 1
10:14, 1 December 2015 IS041.jpg (file) 2.79 MB View over Edinburgh to the Firth of Forth from Blackford Hill. Edinburgh Castle is seen on top of the volcanic Castle Hill. 1
12:08, 24 November 2015 P530964.jpg (file) 335 KB North side of Charlotte Square, Edinburgh. The buildings of Charlotte Square are some of the best known and most impressive of the Edinburgh New Town. These buildings form part of David Craig's original plan for the first New Town, designed in 1767. Th... 1
12:01, 24 November 2015 P531033.jpg (file) 210 KB Old College, South Bridge, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh. The Old College of the University of Edinburgh is one of the most impressive stone buildings in Edinburgh. Once home to the entire University, it was begun in 1789 by Robert Adam and comple... 1
11:29, 24 November 2015 P257386.jpg (file) 202 KB Register House, Edinburgh. Built from Craigleith Sandstone. P257386 1
10:33, 24 November 2015 P519459.jpg (file) 107 KB Rock specimen of sandstone from Craigmillar Quarry, Edinburgh, Lothian Region, Scotland. The sample is a medium to coarse-grained hard crystalline sandstone with a pale pink colour caused by the presence of clear quartz grains within an iron oxide matr... 1
11:54, 17 November 2015 IS040.jpg (file) 2.92 MB No. 20 George Square. Pink Craigmillar sandstone and blocks of dolerite from Salisbury Crags quarries. 1
10:20, 10 November 2015 IS039.jpg (file) 2.11 MB Greyfriars Bobby, Candlemaker Row. Bronze sculpture sits on a plinth of polished Cumbrian Shap Granite with prominent pink feldspar crystals. Created by William Brodie, 1872. 1
10:19, 10 November 2015 IS037.jpg (file) 2.12 MB Greyfriars Bobby, Candlemaker Row. Bronze sculpture sits on a plinth of polished Cumbrian Shap Granite with prominent pink feldspar crystals. Created by William Brodie, 1872. 1
10:16, 10 November 2015 IS038.jpg (file) 2.01 MB Flodden Wall (in Greyfriars Kirkyard). Built of sandstone rubble. 1
10:14, 10 November 2015 IS036.jpg (file) 3 MB Monument from Greyfriars Kirkyard. 1
10:13, 10 November 2015 IS034.jpg (file) 2.1 MB Monument from Greyfriars Kirkyard. 1
10:09, 10 November 2015 IS035.jpg (file) 2.89 MB Greyfriars Kirk. Uses second hand stone from Convent of Sciennes. Original church built 1602-1620, rebuilt several times since then. 1
10:05, 10 November 2015 IS033.jpg (file) 2.03 MB The Queen's Rifle Volunteer Brigade 'The Royal Scots' Headquarters. Now Communications and Marketing, University of Edinburgh. Built in 1904. 1
10:00, 10 November 2015 IS032.jpg (file) 2.95 MB Former Charity Workhouse. Harled tenements on Forest Road. Sandstone from City Quarry (Burgh Muir). Built in 1739-1743. 1
09:58, 10 November 2015 IS031.jpg (file) 2.75 MB Telfer Wall, Lauriston Place. An extension of Flodden Wall to incorporate George Heriot's Hospital. Rubble construction mainly of local sandstones. Built 1628-1636. 1
09:57, 10 November 2015 IS030.jpg (file) 2.98 MB Telfer Wall, Lauriston Place. An extension of Flodden Wall to incorporate George Heriot's Hospital. Rubble construction mainly of local sandstones. Built 1628-1636. 1
09:54, 10 November 2015 IS029.jpg (file) 2.14 MB Former Royal Infirmary. Scots baronial style by David Bryce begun 1872 and finished by his nephew John in 1879. Stone from Hailes and Cullalo (Fife). 1
09:53, 10 November 2015 IS028.jpg (file) 2.96 MB Former Royal Infirmary. Scots baronial style by David Bryce begun 1872. and finished by his nephew John in 1879. Stone from Hailes and Cullalo (Fife). 1
09:48, 10 November 2015 IS027.jpg (file) 2.85 MB Telfer Wall, Lauriston Place. An extension of Flodden Wall to incorporate George Herio's Hospital. Rubble construction mainly of local sandstones. Built 1628-1636. 1
12:12, 3 November 2015 IS026.jpg (file) 3.01 MB Teviot Medical School, Edinburgh. Cross-bedded Carboniferous Polmaise sandstone (Stirlingshire). Built in 1886 by Sir R. Rowand Anderson. 1
12:10, 3 November 2015 IS025.jpg (file) 2.75 MB Teviot Medical School, Edinburgh. Carboniferous Polmaise sandstone (Stirlingshire). Built in 1886 by Sir R. Rowand Anderson. 1
11:51, 3 November 2015 IS024.jpg (file) 2.76 MB McEwan Hall, Edinburgh. Carboniferous sandstones Polmaise (Stirlingshire) and Prudham (Hexham, Northumberland). Small red sandstone columns are Triassic St Bees sandstone from Corsehill (Annan). Built in 1888-1897 by Sir R. Rowand Anderson. 1
11:49, 3 November 2015 IS023.jpg (file) 2.05 MB McEwan Hall, Edinburgh. Carboniferous sandstones Polmaise (Stirlingshire) and Prudham (Hexham, Northumberland). Small red sandstone columns are Triassic St Bees sandstone from Corsehill (Annan). Built in 1888-1897 by Sir R. Rowand Anderson. 1
11:45, 3 November 2015 IS022.jpg (file) 2.78 MB Teviot House, Edinburgh University Student Union, Edinburgh. Hailes Sandstone, laminated. Built in 1887 by Sydney Mitchell. 1
11:43, 3 November 2015 IS021.jpg (file) 2.86 MB Teviot House, Edinburgh University Student Union, Edinburgh. Hailes Sandstone, laminated. Built in 1887 by Sydney Mitchell. 1
11:41, 3 November 2015 IS020.jpg (file) 2.74 MB No. 7 George Square, Edinburgh. Former George Watson's Ladies College. Upper stones: smoothed ashlar sandstone; Lower stones: broached sandstone. Built in 1876 by MacGibbon & Ross. 1
11:39, 3 November 2015 IS019.jpg (file) 2.7 MB No. 7 George Square, Edinburgh. Former George Watson's Ladies College. Elaborate carvings in sandstone above door. Built in 1876 by MacGibbon & Ross. 1
11:39, 3 November 2015 IS018.jpg (file) 2.14 MB No. 7 George Square, Edinburgh. Former George Watson's Ladies College. Elaborate carvings in sandstone above door. Built in 1876 by MacGibbon & Ross. 1
11:37, 3 November 2015 IS017.jpg (file) 2.72 MB No. 7 George Square, Edinburgh. Former George Watson's Ladies College. Elaborate carvings in sandstone above door. Built in 1876 by MacGibbon & Ross. 1
11:34, 3 November 2015 IS016.jpg (file) 2.75 MB No. 16 George Square, Edinburgh. Regular coursed squared rubble. Built in 1767-1774. 1
11:32, 3 November 2015 IS015.jpg (file) 2.97 MB No. 16 George Square, Edinburgh. Craigmillar sandstone. Built in 1767-1774. 1
11:31, 3 November 2015 IS014.jpg (file) 2.88 MB No. 19 George Square, Edinburgh. Craigmillar sandstone. Built in 1767-1774. 1
11:28, 3 November 2015 IS013.jpg (file) 2.95 MB No. 21 George Square, Edinburgh. Pink Craigmillar sandstone with cherrycock pointing. Built in 1767-1774. 1
11:25, 3 November 2015 IS012.jpg (file) 2.77 MB No. 29 George Square, Edinburgh. Broached Craigmillar sandstone. 1
11:22, 3 November 2015 IS011.jpg (file) 2.79 MB No. 28-29 George Square, Edinburgh. Craigmillar sandstone. 1
11:20, 3 November 2015 IS010.jpg (file) 2.77 MB University Library, Edinburgh. Ramp parapet to west is clad in pale yellow-grey Portland Roach stone with Jurassic fossil bivalves and gastropods (upper stones in photo). Built in 1967 by Basil Spence of Glover & Ferguson. 1
11:18, 3 November 2015 IS009.jpg (file) 3.04 MB University Library, Edinburgh. Ramp parapet to west is clad in pale yellow-grey Portland Roach stone with Jurassic fossil bivalves and gastropods. Built in 1967 by Basil Spence of Glover & Ferguson. 1
11:18, 3 November 2015 IS008.jpg (file) 2.96 MB University Library, Edinburgh. Ramp parapet to west is clad in pale yellow-grey Portland Roach stone with Jurassic fossil bivalves and gastropods. Built in 1967 by Basil Spence of Glover & Ferguson. 1
11:15, 3 November 2015 IS007.jpg (file) 2.83 MB University Library, Edinburgh. Cladding round base of Larvikite, a black Scandinavian granite. Built in 1967 by Basil Spence of Glover & Ferguson. 1
11:14, 3 November 2015 IS006.jpg (file) 2.88 MB University Library, Edinburgh. Cladding round base of Larvikite, a black Scandinavian granite. Built in 1967 by Basil Spence of Glover & Ferguson. 1
11:12, 3 November 2015 IS005.jpg (file) 2.73 MB University George Square Lecture Theatre, Edinburgh. Clad in Carboniferous sandstone from Wellfield quarries (Huddersfield). Built in 1967 by Robert Matthews of Johnson-Marshall & Partners. 1
11:08, 3 November 2015 IS004.jpg (file) 2.77 MB University George Square Lecture Theatre, Edinburgh. Clad in Carboniferous sandstone from Wellfield quarries (Huddersfield). Built in 1967 by Robert Matthew of Johnson-Marshall & Partners. 1
11:04, 3 November 2015 IS003.jpg (file) 2.93 MB No. 60 George Square, Edinburgh. Local dolerite and pink sandstone from Craigmillar. Columns of portico are of grey micaceous sandstone. 1
11:03, 3 November 2015 IS002.jpg (file) 2.73 MB No. 60 George Square, Edinburgh. Local dolerite and pink sandstone from Craigmillar. 1
09:10, 3 November 2015 IS001.jpg (file) 2.72 MB No. 60 George Square. Local dolerite and pink sandstone from Craigmillar 1