Excursion to Potters' Bar, Saturday, April 11th, 1908 - Geologists' Association excursion
Geologists' Association Circular No. 93. Session 1907–1908. Excursion to Potters' Bar, Saturday, April 11th, 1908
Excursion to Potters' Bar, Saturday, April 11th, 1908. (Transcription from GA Circular No. 93. Session 1907–1908.)
DIRECTOR :: W. WHITAKER, B.A., F.R.S.
EXCURSION SECRETARY: MISS JOHNSTON, Hazelwood, Wimbledon Hill S.W.
Leave King's Cross. 1.15 due Potter's Bar. 1.38. Meet Excursion Secretary under clock not later than 1 p.m. Special return fare 1s 10d.
Walk from Potter's Bar Station westward to the stream valley by Mimms Hall, when some general remarks will be made on the stream and its swallow-holes. Then go down the valley; northward, noticing the condition of the stream, to the well-marked set of swallow-holes about half-a-mile off. After examining these the walk will be continued northward, so as to see the varying state of the stream down to Water End. Here is a large eollection of swallow-holes, over a considerable area. After seeing these the route will ; be north-eastward, up the side-valley through Potterell's Park, where there are other swallow-holes, and at Welham Green, 5.30 p.m., traps will be taken for Hatfield (1/- each).
The condition of the stream and of the swallow-holes varies according to the preceding weather, and very different things are to be seen at different times.
Walking distance about 4 miles.
Tea at Salisbury Temperance Hotel, 6 p.m., 1/- with eggs.
Return train from Hatfield 6.53 p.m. Arrive King's Cross 7.30.
Geological Survey Map, Sheet 7.
Ordnance Map, Sheet 239, New Series, etc.
Hertfordshire, Sheets 35 S.E. and 40 N.E.
1891. J. HOPKINSON, Proc. Geol. Assoc., vol. xi, pp. cxl-cxliii (part 9, 1s.).
1898. W. WHITAKER, Trans. Herts Nat. Hist.Soc., vol. x, pp. 5–8.
List of photographs
Excursion to Potters Bar, April 11th 1908
|Page 43||P805293||Mimms Hall Brook. Sections of peaty and clayey earth in the gravel on the western bank of the stream at Warren Gate. Excursion to Potters Bar, April 11th 1908.|