Excursion to the Langdon Hills. Saturday, July 13th, 1907 - Geologists' Association excursion
Geologists' Association Circular No. 86. Session 1906–1907. Excursion to the Langdon Hills. Saturday, July 13th, 1907.
Excursion to the Langdon Hills. Saturday, July 13th, 1907. (Transcription from GA Circular No. 86. Session 1906–1907
DIRECTOR : A. E. SALTER, D.Sc., F.G.S.
EXCURSION SECRETARY : T. W. READER, 17, Gloucester Road, Finsbury Park, N.
(Members of the Essex Field Club are Invited.)
Take the 2.30 p.m. train from Fenchurch Street to Laindon, arriving at 3.29.
Meet Excursion Secretary not later than 2.15 p.m. in the booking office. Fare 2s. 2d.
Walk due south for about three-quarters of a mile, and examine (by kindness of Mr. C. T. Johnstone) London Clay with septaria, sill-wash, and springs issuing from below the Bagshot sands. The wells dug here are 27 feet deep.
Take turning to the east near by and examine pit in Bagshot sands with overlying hill-creep containing flint-pebbles, sandstone blocks, etc. Note clayey band in one part.
Return to main road, and proceed to the highest point, 378 ft., near the "Crown Inn." Good view to the north, showing Billericay, Danbury, etc. Note disturbed ground on highest point, owing to old diggings in gravel, a small section of which can still be seen. Examine its contents and discuss its origin.
Proceed eastwards along road leading to Dry Street and Vange, and examine another pit in Bagshot sands on left-hand side of the road. Note clayey bands near the top. The sand is very fine and highly micaceous.
Proceed to One-Tree Hill, where another section in the Bagshot sands and overlying hill-creep can be seen. It is much disturbed owing to slipping, and contains a fine example of a small fault. Recently the Director obtained from this pit a large portion of a human skull and other bones, which may be of some antiquity. These will be shown during the afternoon and the position in which they were found indicated.
Fine views eastward towards the Rayleigh Hills, Canvey Island, and Sheppey can be obtained if clear.
Return to the "Crown Inn" for tea, 6.30 (price 1s.).
Proceed to the west side of the hill.
Numerous small roadside cuttings in gravel are passed on the way. Good views to the south and west can be obtained in this direction and along the Horndon road. Return train from Laindon 8.30, arriving at Fenchurch Street, 9.35.
Total walking distance 4 to 5 miles.
Geological Survey Map, 1 in. (Drift Edition), Sheet 1, S.E., 3s.
1889. W. WHITAKER.—"Geology of London," p. 327-8.
1888. " Excursion to Lainden Hills." Proc. Geol. Assoc.,vol. x, p. 489 (Part ix, 1s.).
See also The Essex Naturalist, vol. ii., pp. 126-131.
1905. SALTER, A. E.—"On the Superficial Deposits of Central and Parts of Southern England." Proc. Geol. Assoc., vol. xix, p. 27 (Part I, is.).