Geological excursion guide to the Stirling and Perth area
|A geological excursion guide to the Stirling and Perth area. Edinburgh: Edinburgh Geological Society in association with NMS Enterprises Limited. Buy the book EGS.|
Every attempt has been made to contact copyright holders. If any images have been inadvertently missed, please contact the publisher Figures S.1, 2.1, 2.2, 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, 4.1, 4.2, 5.1, 6.1, 6.2, 7.1, 8.1, 8.2, 9.1, 13.1, 14.1, 15.1 and 17.1 are derived in part from data reproduced by permission of the British Geological Survey © NERC. All rights reserved. CP15/025. Ordnance Survey map data reproduced with permission of Ordnance Survey. Licence number 100033582. Photographs © M. A. E. Browne and C. Gillen.
- Matt Armstrong (deceased, formerly BGS)
- Mike Browne BGS, Edinburgh
- Peter Craig Tarland by Alford, Aberdeenshire (formerly BGS)
- Doug Fettes Edinburgh (formerly BGS)
- Rhoda Fothergill Perth
- Howell Francis (deceased, formerly BGS and Leeds University)
- Rosalind Garton St Andrews University
- Con Gillen Edinburgh University
- Ian Hall Edinburgh (formerly BGS)
- Tony Harris
- Cardiff University (formerly BGS and Liverpool University)
- Donald MacIntyre (deceased, formerly Pomona College, USA)
- Andrew McMillan Edinburgh (formerly BGS)
- Jon Merritt BGS, Edinburgh
- Bill Read (deceased, formerly BGS)
- Philip Rose Aberdeen (formerly Liverpool University)
- Jack Soper Threshfield, Skipton (formerly Sheffield University)
All the maps have been drafted by Angus Miller of Geowalks (Edinburgh). All photographs are by the editors. We wish to thank those geologists who kindly undertook to review individual excursions. The Edinburgh Geological Society made a grant available for the drawing of the excursion maps. David Stephenson and Kathryn Goodenough are thanked for their editorial contributions. We would like to express particular thanks to David Stephenson for his meticulous editing.
This field guide has had a long history since the idea was mooted in the 1970s, and many of the excursions had been drafted by the end of the 1980s. We have taken the opportunity when editing the text and revisiting all the exposures to remove out-of-date references and add the most-recent research results and concepts. Some localities had degraded to the extent that we could not justify retaining them in the guide. In addition, we were obliged to remove some excursions entirely, as a result of restrictions on the overall size of the book. All national grid references are based on GPS readings taken at the time of our visits. Since this is a field guide, readers wishing to have overviews of the geology and landscapes are referred to the following works: Cameron & Stephenson (1985), Browne & Mendum (1995), Trewin (2002), McKirdy et al. (2009), Friend (2012), Gillen (2013). The Stirling Memoir (Francis et al., 1970) and the Perth Memoir (Armstrong et al., 1985) are key references for most of the more detailed geology and are referred to separately only in chapters where there is a specific reason.