Difference between revisions of "New page"
|[unchecked revision]||[unchecked revision]|
(Created page with "'''MAKING A NEW PAGE''' * To make a new page you just need ordinary '''''user privileges'''''. * The navigation of GeoSource is based on '''''portals''''' and '''''categories...")
|Line 28:||Line 28:|
Revision as of 09:46, 22 August 2013
MAKING A NEW PAGE
- To make a new page you just need ordinary user privileges.
- The navigation of GeoSource is based on portals and categories.
- The main page provides an introduction to the site, a list of portals and a writer’s guide.
- The writer’s guide is an alphabetical listing of pages covering every aspect of house style, and guidance on how to publish using GeoSource.
- Take a few minutes to look through the existing portals, categories and subcategories. Does your proposed new page/set of pages fit into a pre-existing category? If so you can create a new page using a template as follows:
- Underneath the category title there is some text giving instructions about naming conventions etc. within the category (not there yet!). You will see a box into which to type the name of your new page.
- Click on Name and create a report this will create a new page in the edit view with headings and place holder text where appropriate.
- If you don’t want to contribute to an existing portal or category, you can request that the wiki’s administrator (Debbie Rayner) sets up a new portal for you. Please give her an idea of the hierarchical structure you envisage within the portal so that she can devise an appropriate structure of categories and subcategories. Customised templates will be made available for each category.
- You will see a box into which to type the name of your new page
- Click on Name and create a report and this will create a new page in the edit view with headings and place-holder text where appropriate
- Once you have a new page in the editing view, you can type directly into the page or cut and paste from Word documents and from PDFs. To convert cut-and-pasted text, select the text and click the [W] button on the toolbar.
- The toolbar contains most of the editing and searching buttons you are familiar with from Word. Mouse-over text explains them.
- To insert links to photos and diagrams in AssetBank………
- Debbie Rayner and her team can help with inserting links, formatting tables etc
- References should be set out in the Harvard syle using Endnote – see separate instructions. EXPLAIN MORE FULLY GIVE EXAMPLES
- When the first draft of your page is complete, make any comments needed in the Summary box then click Save.
- This produces a new page which is itemised in the alphabetical list of pages in the home category you have chosen.
- The new page will carry the following message at the top ‘There are no reviewed versions of this page, so it may not have been checked for adherence to standards’ It can now enter the review and editing process – see instructions below.
- If you want to monitor the progress of your page(s) use My watchlist (see top of every page) or Recent changes (left-hand margin).